I got a letter in the mail last week telling me my XM Satellite radio promotion was ending and my credit card will begin being automatically charged $12.95 per month to continue the service. There is no way I’m paying that! I want the XM radio discount that I have been getting – $77 per year. (When you add taxes and fees it comes to about $88 for a year of service.) This is for the XM Everything package, which includes all the channels except The Best of Sirius.
I have twice written about how to get great XM radio deals and XM radio discount subscriptions. The promotion is supposed to be an introductory XM radio deal only but if you do what I did this weekend, you can get it again.
I called XM at 1-800-XM-RADIO and told them that I received a letter telling me my XM radio promotion was ending and I wanted to see what they could do for me. The first person I spoke to told me that she could not offer me the same promotion again since it was a special XM radio introductory promotion. She offered me three deals (1-year, 2-year and 3-year subscriptions) that were all substantially more expensive than what I have been paying. I asked her who I needed to speak with to cancel my account.
I was transferred to another XM radio department and told the woman I wanted to cancel my subscription. She was very nice and asked why. I told her I loved XM radio service and would like to continue but it’s too expensive. She put me on hold to “look at my account.” She came back and told me that she could offer me the same $77 XM radio promotion that I used to have for another year. I happily accepted. Not only that, but I was also able to extend my wife’s subscription at the same XM radio discount rate!
To summarize, here is what you should do if your XM radio subscription is expiring:
1) Call XM at 1-800-XM-RADIO and tell them you want to renew for the $77/year XM radio promotion.
2) When they tell you it’s not available, tell them you want to cancel.
3) After you are transferred tell them you want to cancel because it’s too expensive. You have heard about the $77 XM radio deals they are offering and would like that rate. It’s VERY important at this step to tell them you want to cancel. They won’t do anything unless you tell them you want to cancel.
4) If this doesn’t work, politely hang up and try it again. It’s worth the 25 minutes to stay on the phone with them.
5) If you have a second account, make sure you can get the XM deal for both account.
Remember, this process will get you the special XM radio deal of $77/year (plus fees) only for the XM Everything package. If you want The Best of Sirius package that includes Howard Stern, Martha Stewart, the NFL and more, you will need to negotiate that separately. Same goes for XM navigation or any other product they sell.
Check out the latest XM radio channel guide.